Compliments, Complaints & Suggestions

At Cherry Tree we are committed to openness, and being a learning organisation that is committed to excellence. Good customer service is dynamic, and is informed by real experience. 

We are always keen to hear when our staff have delivered a really good service, when we have got something wrong, and if the users of our services have suggestions for making things even better.  

On an annual basis, we will report to the Board on all compliments, complaints, and suggestions for service improvements that we have received.


If our staff have delivered a level of service that has been consistently excellent and helpful to you, we would like to hear about this. Please let us know by writing to our head office or email


We recognise that we occasionally get things wrong. Where this happens, we will aim to put things right as quickly as we can. We have a Complaints Policy that users of our services can use to report a complaint. You can view our Complaints Policy here.
There are different policies for Care Services and Housing.


As part of our commitment to excellence, we accept that we can always do better. Where users of our services wish to make suggestions on how we can improve our service, we encourage them to let us know, by writing to head office, emailing or telephoning our main office on 01923 850580. Each year the Board will offer a cash prize for the best suggestion for service improvement.  

Care Complaints Procedure

You should follow this procedure if you have a complaint about the care provided by Cherry Tree Housing Association (if you have a learning disability and live in one of Cherry Tree Housing Association's care homes or supported living schemes).

You can also see how to make a complaint in easy-to-read format.

1. Firstly, you should tell either:
The care staff at your care home,
your Keyworker,
the Head of Home.

If you do not want to make a complaint by yourself, you can ask someone else to help you. This could be:
your social worker;
a friend or relative;
your advocate.

The local advocacy service is: PoWHER
Hertlands House
Primett Road

Tel: 0300 456 2370

2. If they do not help you, you should tell the Care Manager. You can do this by phoning Cherry Tree Housing Assocation or sending us a letter or email.
Care Manager
Kevin Hills
Cherry Tree Housing Association
Orchard Villa
Porters Park Drive

Tel: 01923 850580
Mob: 07768 168413

The Care Manager will look into the problem, inform the Chief Executive and you should get a written reply within 2 weeks.

3. If Cherry Tree Housing Association does not respond to your complaint, and does nothing to help you, you can make a complaint to Hertfordshire Social Services (who provide your care): The Client Relations Manager

SFAR 209, second floor, Farnham House
Six Hills Way

Tel: 01438 844271

Also, if you live in a registered care home, you can contact the Care Quality Commission to make a complaint:
CQC East
City Gate
Newcastle upon Tyne

Tel: 03000 616161
Fax: 03000 616171

4. If you feel that your complaint is very serious, or nobody else helps you, then contact the Local Government Ombudsman. The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Tel: 0300 061 0614
Fax: 024 7682 0001

You can also submit your complaint using their
online form on their website (

For more information, you can download a document about the care complaints procedure.


Housing Complaints Procedure

You should follow this complaints procedure if you have a complaint about any aspect of Cherry Tree Housing Association's housing management (i.e. disrepair, re-housing or rent).

1. Firstly, you should contact the main office of Cherry Tree Housing Association. Details on our contact page

2. If the Housing Officer is unable to resolve the issue, the complaint should be made in writing to the Chief Executive at the Head Office: Paul Eastwood, Chief Executive.

3. If the Chief executive is unable to resolve the issue, a written complaint can be made to the Chair of the Management Committee of Cherry Tree Housing Association, at the head office:
Mary Pedlow, Chair of the Management Committee

This is the final stage of the internal complaints procedure.

4. If Cherry Tree Housing Association does not respond to your complaint, and does nothing to assist you with your repairs, you can ask your local Environmental Health Department for help.

You can also file a complaint about the general conduct of Cherry Tree Housing Association to the Housing Ombudsman Service. The Housing Ombudsman Service is an independent service that looks at complaints about housing associations and housing management. Contact them to request a complaints form. Housing Ombudsman Service
81 Aldwych

Tel: 0300 111 3000
Fax: 020 7831 1942

For more information, you can download a document about the housing complaints procedure.